Emerald Garden Visitation Policy
As per SB988 - No Patient Left Alone Act. Dated April 6, 2022
"No Resident Left Alone"
Florida Statute 408.823, the "No Patient Left Alone Act" requires Emerald Garden to implement policy that allows a resident to have in-person visits by an Essential Caregiver during circumstances that may restrict resident visitation. Emerald Garden recognizes residents may designate a visitor who is a family member, friend, guardian or other individual as an Essential Caregiver.
Emerald Garden will designate the Administrator as the person responsible for ensuring staff adhere to the policies and procedures.
The visitation policies and procedures required by this statute must allow in-person visitation by Essential Caregivers in all of the following circumstances, unless the resident, client, or patient objects:
- End of life situations
- A resident, client or patient who was living with family before being admitted to the provider's care is struggling with the chance in environment and lack of in person family support.
- A resident, client or patient is making one or more major medical decisions.
- A resident, client or patient is experiencing emotional distress or grieving the loss of a friend or family member who recently died.
- A resident, client or patient needs cueing or encouragement to eat or drink which was previously provided by family member or caregiver.
- A resident, client or patient who used to talk and interact with others is seldom speaking.
Emerald Garden will allow in-person visitation by the Essential Caregiver for at least 2 hours daily in addition to any other visitation authorized. Emerald Garden does not require an Essential Caregiver to provide necessary care to a resident. The designated Essential Caregiver will be documented in the resident's medical record and updated upon resident's request.
Emerald Garden requires the following procedures to comply with the statute. Before in-person visitation, all Essential Caregivers, must adhere to the following procedures:
- Comply with the infection control and education policies for visitors.
- Infection Control policies may require a visitor to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) including properly wear a face mask and other necessary PPE and perform hand hygiene.
- Staff will provide directions on the proper use of PPE. This policy does not prohibit visits if the specific resident to be visited is quarantined, tested positive, or showing symptoms of a communicable disease.
- Visits in these circumstances will require a higher level of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) than standard masks.
- PPE will be provided to the visitor and will be in accordance to the most recent CDC guidance for healthcare workers.
- Submit to screening which may include temperature check and/or a questionnaire about health status.
In addition to the Essential Caregiver visitation policy, all visitors must comply with Emerald Garden's general visitation policy:
- Emerald Garden has no limit on the number of visitors per resident.
- Emerald Garden may limit the total number of visitors allowed in the facility at any given time based on the ability of staff to safely screen and monitor the space used to accommodate the visitors, and based on adherence to the infection control protocols of physical distancing.
- General visitation hours are from 9am to 9pm daily. After hour visitors must check with staff for access. There is no limitation on the visitation length.
- Consensual physical contact between a resident, client, or patient and the visitor is NOT prohibited.
- Masks are optional.
- For the continued safety for our residents, families and staff, we continue to take temperatures and that everyone upon entering perform proper hand hygiene by either washing their hands or utilizing hand sanitizer.
- A resident, client, or patient may designate a visitor who is a family member, client, or patient and the visitor is NOT prohibited.
- Visitors who have a positive viral test for COVID-19, symptoms of COVID-19 or currently meet the criteria for quarantine should not enter Emerald Garden.
- Emerald Garden does not require visitors to agree in writing to follow the visitation policies and procedures. However, if the visitor has violated the policies and procedures, Emerald Garden may suspend in-person visitation for the specific individual.
- Visitors will be provided education on COVID-19 signs and symptoms and Emerald Garden's infection control precautions.
- Safety-related policies and procedures are not more stringent than those established for staff of Emerald Garden and visitors are not required to provide proof of any vaccination or immunization.
Emerald Garden takes our commitment to the wellbeing of our residents seriously and this includes a resident's right to visitation with their family. If you have questions or comments regarding this policy, please contact the Administrator at email@example.com.